Saturday, February 5, 2011

Recipe: Mac and Cheese (Not from a box)

Yummy Mac & Cheese

Cheesy comfort.  MMM...  This is one of my favorite comfort foods.  A recipe passed down from my Gramma, the taste of this recipe always reminds me of family.  Although this is a simple recipe, it tastes so much better than the famous box mix.  Just my humble opinion...

Ingredients:
1 cup dry macaroni pasta
1 cup milk (I used organic whole milk)
2 Tbl butter (I used pastured butter)
2 Tbl flour (I used organic whole wheat sprouted flour)
Sharp cheddar cheese (to taste)
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1.  Bring water to boil and cook pasta.  Drain.
2.  While pasta is cooking, melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.  Add milk and flour, stirring frequently.  Continue cooking until sauce has thickened.  Add some cheese and incorporate into sauce.
3.  In your casserole dish, combine cooked pasta and white sauce.  Top with additional cheese.
4.  Melt cheese under broiler.  Or, if your broiler doesn't work like mine, melt cheese in oven at 450 degrees. :)

YUMMY!!!  This is a halved recipe from the original and fits well in a 1-quart casserole dish.  For a family, my Mom always doubled it and used a 2 quart casserole.  I usually serve with salmon croquettes or a ham based dish.

Combine cooked pasta with cream sauce in casserole dish.

Top with grated sharp cheddar cheese.

Mac and Cheese with Salmon Croquettes

2 comments:

  1. This looks so good! Thanks for sharing (found you at Kelly's Real Food Wednesdays blog carnival). Blessings, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lisa! It's one of my favorites, and you can up the nutrition by using raw milk dairy products and "healthier" pasta of your choice. :) Let me know how it is when you make it!

    ReplyDelete